Friday, August 27, 2010

It Ain't Easy Bein' a Pedestrian

I have seen a lot of weird and sometimes funny shit happen to people. I've seen a lady fall face-first on a treadmill (funny). I've seen my best friend slip on ice and get a concussion (scary). I've seen a football player's leg completely be facing the other direction after a play (gross).

Typically, when I think of people getting hit by cars, I think FUNNY. Also, when I think of people getting hit by cars, I think of places like New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles. I sure as hell don't think of Arlington, Texas. After yesterday, I now feel that Arlington pedestrians should fear for their lives.

My fellow intern, Laura, and I took a trek to Arlington yesterday to get a tour of Cowboys Stadium. It was every bit as awesome as everyone said it would be. I even got to see the infamous whiteboard that Bo Pelini left marks in after smashing a chair into it post-2009 Big 12 Championship game. I could feel the anger as I pushed my index finger into the dents.

After an exhausting tour - because the stadium is, like, a mile or two in circumference - Laura and I hit the road to go get some Sonic and head back to the office. As we were driving down a street next to Rangers Ballpark, I heard Laura saying, "What is he doing? WHAT IS HE DOING?! HE'S NOT SLOWING DOWN." So I looked up from my cell phone (I was a passenger) just in time to see the pickup in front of us collide with a pedestrian who was crossing the street.

It seriously looked like a scene from Cruel Intentions. You know, the one where Ryan Phillippe gets hit by a car and rolls over the top of the car and dies? Except for this lady didn't roll over top of the pickup. Instead, the impact caused her to fly, like, 10 feet in front of the pickup. The force even knocked her out of her shoes! The poor lady screamed and screamed and rolled back and forth in the middle of the street. (Thank God she was moving - that meant she wasn't paralyzed). Then a crowd gathered around and all we could see was blood covering her face. It was really scary. Really not funny at all.

I'm not entirely sure what the hell the driver was doing. Perhaps texting while driving? He had his phone in his hand as he popped out of the car and into the street to see if the woman was okay. And what in God's name was that woman doing? She just walked right into it! She clearly wasn't paying attention either.

A few days ago, a Metroplex biker was seriously injured by a hit-and-run, too. This madness is for the streets of New York! Not for the quaint Dallas, Texas. (quaint? Ha... yeah, not so much).

Anyway, this scary experience has forced me to be less of a distracted driver. Please do the same. Keep our pedestrians safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment