Sunday, April 18, 2010

Life Ain't Always Beautiful

Hey, it's Jess. I'll be honest, this isn't going to be a funny post this time. I love funny posts because I'm filled with real funny stories, but tonight is not one of those nights. I'm a poet and tonight I'm feeling poetic. I won't write poetry though. Poetry bores most everyone except for English junkies. So I'll just write about how I'm feeling.

Tonight is my last night in New York. Rather, it's my last night as the men's gymnastics SID. I'm packing my belongings into two suitcases and calling it quits. TWO suitcases. Nuts, huh? After three years, two suitcases is all I have to show for them. Well, not really. I've met some of the most amazing people in the entire world, people that will remain in my heart forever. I've even made a few wonderful friends (friends that will hopefully become famous and further my careers (cough, cough Jersh and Steph-onn). :) And, I've seen some of the most beautiful places - Palo Alto a few times, NYC, Norman, OK, (haha, riiiight. Not the most beautiful place, but fucking fun). I've eaten the best sushi in the world with Francis Allen and now have learned to appreciate GOOD sushi (not the crap you find in NE). And, most of all, I've learned never to settle. I will never, ever settle. Josh taught me that. Josh is going to be famous some day. To be honest, I never believed in people becoming famous. I thought people were born into fame. But this kid - WOWza - he is born to be great. And I am, too, right? I know I am. But finally, someone came along in my life to tell me about greatness. For that, I am appreciative. I have NO idea what is about to come next for me. I have a few interviews lined up in places I've never been to, but that's okay for me. I'm ready to move on. I'm ready to move forward with my life.

Anyway, I'm going to cut this short because I have a long day a head of me tomorrow, but I just wanted to vent right now. I'll probably have a beautiful poem coming soon, but for now, this is all I have.

Thank you, NU men's gym, for some of the best years of my life.

God Bless,
Jess

1 comment:

  1. Jess, this is a GREAT post. I was a bit choked up ... It is also probably my last season following the NU Men's team. Over half the team of guys were men I had utmost respect for -- maybe not last season ;) but this season they united as one, fought a great fight, and left it all out there on the mats.

    Jess, you ARE great. Don't let anyone in this world tell you otherwise. (Yosh is great too, but he's been told enough that his head might inflate to the size of the Goodyear blimp, then we're all screwed!) But seriously, Jess, you've embraced me into your life with open arms and I appreciate that. I can't wait to help you accomplish your fitness goals! We need to get down like Charlie Brown and dominate some running and weight training.

    LASTLY, THE MOST IMPORTANT CHUNK OF INFO COMING UP NEXT: SUSHI. I know great sushi. I've lived in Japan and visited Tokyo several times -- there IS great sushi in Nebraska. It's in Omaha. There's actually TWO places in OMAHA that serve Tokyo, Japan quality sushi ... and trust me, BLUE isn't one of them (nor BABY BLUE).

    We need to set a date (let's shoot for this week). And now that Yosh is done with gym (FTW!) he needs to join us.

    Longest blog comment ever? Probably not, but I'm ending it here as I've wasted enough time at work that I must get back to producing scientific results.

    Solving the fuel shortage crisis, one algae cell at a time.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete