Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bittersweet Symphony

I'm not really one for being sad or carrying on or anything like that. I've always welcomed change and gone with the flow. But I'm having a bit of a bittersweet moment tonight.

As the final seconds of the game clock ticked down during tonight's Nebraska game, I became a bit overwhelmed and a bit misty-eyed. For five years, I had been apart of something so great, so amazing, something completely unbelievable. Most of the time I shrug my job off, complaining of the pay or the hours I work. I never, ever, got caught up in the hype of working for Nebraska athletics. I wanted to play it cool, act like running into athletes everyday was normal.

But believe me, it is not normal. No matter how many times I run into Tom Osborne or Ndamukong Suh, I still lose my breath. Working for Nebraska athletics will forever be one of my most cherished moments.

Now my time at Media Relations is coming to a close. I celebrated my own "Senior Day" at the Nebraska-Kansas State football game tonight. Never again will I step foot in that press box as a student worker. People keep telling me it's just a job, that I will get over it. But I don't know how I'll possibly get over the fact that I got to greet Mr. Tom Osborne every other day in my cubicle. Five years of my life has been devoted to the Nebraska Athletic Department and it will be so hard to turn my back on something so wonderful.

Although I have no idea where my next path may lead or even if I'll stay working in athletics, one thing is for certain: There truly is no place quite like Nebraska.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, I will miss you around here!! I hate that I get used to seeing all of the lovely faces around here, especially in your dept and in marketing, then BAM people decide to go and graduate! T.O. will, for sure, miss your greeting from your lovely cubicle.

    ReplyDelete